3020 College Academic Regulations

The requirements for entrance into Georgia State University are found in the section of this catalog devoted to undergraduate admissions. A transfer student must comply with all academic regulations of the university. The College of Arts and Sciences reserves the right to validate by examination any credits accepted by transfer. This provision in no way affects the acceptance of courses used to satisfy core curriculum requirements at another unit of the University System of Georgia.

Students holding a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university who wish to complete another undergraduate degree are urged to clear all requirements with an adviser in the Office of Academic Assistance.

Grades of C in Major/Minor

Courses in the major require a grade of C or higher. Courses in the minor chosen within or outside the College, require a grade of C or higher.

Credit by Examination

A maximum of 18 semester hours of degree credit may be granted before or after matriculation to a student who receives satisfactory scores on certain subject examinations of the College Level Examination Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. The student should consult the appropriate department or school or the Office of Academic Assistance for further information.

The College of Arts and Sciences follows university guidelines for the acceptance of credit by examination. See section 1320.40 Credit by Examination for specific course equivalencies. Credit awarded by the academic departments within the College of Arts and Sciences does not apply toward the academic residence requirement.

Credit for Transient Work

Arts and Sciences students who wish to take course work at another institution, whether as a full-time or as a part-time student, must have prior written approval from the Office of Academic Assistance if they wish to apply the credit hours to a degree program. Failure to obtain the required prior approval will prevent the acceptance of such credits. Approval will be granted for no more than two terms of work and only if the student is in good academic standing at Georgia State University. No approval of requests to take courses in Atlanta-area colleges will be granted if the course is readily available from Georgia State offerings. During the term in which the student is scheduled to graduate, all courses must be taken at Georgia State unless prior written approval has been obtained from the Office of Academic Assistance. The acceptance and application of all course work taken as a transient student is subject to any limitations imposed by the student’s major department, school, or program of study.

Please consult the “Academic Regulations” section of this catalog for further clarification in regard to transient credit.

Credit for Veteran’s Service

University students who are veterans of any service, active, reserve, or National Guard, or who have attended a service academy, may receive advanced placement in the Department of Military Science and Leadership (ROTC).

Course 4999 – Directed Readings

Course 4999, Directed Readings, in any department/school/institute that offers a major in the College of Arts and Sciences is designed to assist seniors who are within two terms of graduation and who have curriculum difficulties in fulfilling the requirements necessary for graduation. One to four credit hours may be earned. The supervising professor, the departmental chair/school director, and the dean of the college must approve registration for the course. Forms for Course 4999 must be completed at the time of regular registration for the term in which the credit is to be earned and can be obtained through department/school offices or the college’s Office of Academic Assistance.

Policy on Allowing Undergraduates to Take Graduate Courses

Under one of the following conditions, an undergraduate student may be permitted to take a graduate course:

  1. Dual Degree Enrollment: The student has been formally accepted into an official university dual degree program that links an undergraduate degree program with a graduate degree program. Students in dual degree programs are granted permission to enroll in specified graduate courses when they reach a designated program milestone. Students who are accepted into the affiliated graduate program upon completion of the undergraduate degree may count specified course work toward fulfillment of the graduate degree requirements. A current listing of official undergraduate/graduate dual degree programs is available at www.gsu.edu/enrollment/dual_degree_programs.html.
  2. College Approval of Enrollment: The dean’s office of the college will determine a student’s eligibility for admission into a graduate course. To be eligible, an undergraduate student generally must have a cumulative grade-point average of 3.5 or higher and be within 18 semester hours of graduation, and be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. Eligibility does not guarantee permission to take a course. Once a student’s eligibility is determined, permission must be granted by the instructor for the course, the department’s/school’s director of graduate studies, the chair/director of the department/school offering the course, and the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences. The request form is located atwww.cas.gsu.edu/docs/ugrad/graduate_course_form.doc. Please note, graduate courses taken by an undergraduate student cannot be applied toward fulfillment of graduate degree requirements unless the student has been formally accepted into an official university dual degree program.

(This approval process does not apply to postbaccalaureate students. Postbaccalaureate students wishing to take graduate courses must be admitted as non-degree seeking students. See www.cas.gsu.edu/grad_non-degree_transient_admission.html for additional information.)